This is a super idea and doesn’t require anything to be purchased.
Take a large box or bag and go around your house looking for some of these items.
Then lay some out on the table or on a tray as an exploration area:
Play, learn, investigate, explore, experiment.
Here are some of the items in the photograph, they are suggestions only, find what you have around your house. Maths is right around us and maximising the opportunities around us provides the best learning for children… inclusively… there is something here for everyone.
• Basket with numbered pegs for counting and ordering
• Bowl of conkers/ chestnuts (replace with any natural material e.g. pebbles, leaves, flowers)
• Basket of assorted shells in various colours, patterns, shapes and sizes for sorting and counting
• Ball of play dough
• Tray of Brailled or large print numbers
• Pencil/Black Pen and black lined notebook/Perkins Braille
Machine titled Maths Discovery
• Plastic food tray with coloured sand/scented salts for writing
numbers in, counting objects into etc
• Pipe cleaners for threading beads onto etc
• Teddy bears
• Egg carton
• Muffin tin
• Paper cake cases
• Empty wooden bowl
• Measuring tape
• Lollipop sticks and waxing sticks
• Textured disks made using the circular ends of a CD pack.
Discs covered in textures. Or, cut card circles and add textures
• Variety of interesting objects to explore (embroidery ring,
Click on the different category headings to find out more. You can also change some of your preferences. Note that blocking some types of cookies may impact your experience on our websites and the services we are able to offer.
Essential Website Cookies
These cookies are strictly necessary to provide you with services available through our website and to use some of its features.
We provide you with a list of stored cookies on your computer in our domain so you can check what we stored. Due to security reasons we are not able to show or modify cookies from other domains. You can check these in your browser security settings.
Other external services
We also use different external services like Google Webfonts, Google Maps, and external Video providers. Since these providers may collect personal data like your IP address we allow you to block them here. Please be aware that this might heavily reduce the functionality and appearance of our site. Changes will take effect once you reload the page.