Facial Expression Picture Cards
Simple Facial Expression Picture Cards promote recognition of facial expressions and emotions. Designed to improve the child’s competency in social situations. The pack incorporates a set of 12 simple black and white facial expression cards. Each card includes a description of the expression on the back.
A child/young person with a visual impairment may have limited access to information. Both about their own level of competence socially and that of their peers. During social situations, they may have difficulty in:
- Interpreting or understanding body language, behaviour or gestures of others.
- Making eye contact
- Understanding facial expressions
- Suppressing an immediate emotional response. This is instead of a more carefully considered response. They are not able to see the other person’s facial expression.
- Adjusting their behaviour to make it acceptable or rewarding to others.
- Knowing whether to start a conversation, when to join in, and when to take turns.
Equally, their sighted peers may misinterpret lack of gestures. Likewise, body language and mannerisms of a young person with visual impairment.
Why use the picture cards?
Simple Facial Expression Picture Cards help children to recognise facial expressions. They assist the child to understand the emotions conveyed through facial expressions. It is helpful to add a talking peg, or an audio label to the facial expression picture card. Enabling the understanding of voice tones in relation to the facial expression shown.
Each time we use a facial expression we convey an emotion. Each time we use a voice tone we convey an emotion. These two concepts that pass across our face, need teaching to children with VI. One without the other makes little sense. These are the nuances of social interaction that a sighted person takes for granted. Take time to ensure these skills are taught to the children you work with. They are not learnt easily due to the lack of incidental access available to the child.
Sold as a digital download pack of 12 cards
- Useful for social skill group activities.
- Set individual social skills targets
- Teach facial expressions and the emotion they convey
- Use to teach the facial expression and the voice tone and emotion conveyed